It feels like going back 2000 years. Come prepared to immerse yourself fully.
Date(s): July 9th – 16th, 2023
Teacher(s): Tim Corcoran, Robin Bliswagner, Jay Sliwa, Taeo Knight, Zander Balthasar
*Students under the age of 12 are welcome to enroll as long as their parent/guardian either takes the class with them or does a nature retreat on the land during the class.*
Students will learn basic skills needed to survive in the wilderness safely and comfortably. The philosophy behind these skills will be taught throughout the course. It will be held at our Mt. Shasta Camp which includes endless creeks, ponds and our authentic village consisting of sixteen bark tipis, two bark round houses.
We are proud to say this is the finest Skills Class taught today.
- Shelters: bark tipi, tipi, lean-to, debris huts and more
- Water: how to locate and purify
- Fire: bow drill and hand drill, campfire building, wood identification, etc.
- Food: cooking methods
- Wild Edible and Useful Plants: identification and gathering
- Trapping Methods (no animals will be trapped during this class)
- Hunting Methods: primitive hunting skills and philosophy
- Hunting Tools: throwing sticks, spears, primitive bows, slings, bolas and more
- Cordage Making
- Tool Making: working with stone and wood
- Flint Knapping and Bone Working
- Tanning Animal Hides
- Camp Location and Setup