Push through discomfort to find your wild self
Date(s): July 1st – 7th, 2023
Teacher(s): Taeo Knight, Zander Balthasar
* Students need to be physically capable to carry their own 30-40 pound backpack through rough terrain 7+ miles per day. *
Continuing a decades long tradition, this backpacking trip is the advanced version of the Nature Awareness class taught in Mount Shasta. This class is held in the Marble Mountain Wilderness, where students will be setting up a base camp and going on lightweight hikes throughout the area. Through exploration and meditation in the wilderness, students will sharpen their awareness and learn to commune with nature in a much deeper way.
- Backpacking Skills including packing, cooking, and camp set-up.
- Navigating through the Wilderness
- Nature Observation
- Methods of immersing oneself in nature
- Movement in nature, including stalking and fox walking
- Tracking basics and identification, animal signs, trails, runs, scat, etc.
- Wild edible and useful plants and identification, gathering and eating
- Animal identification and animal behavior